Prefinished Wood Floor Maintenance
How to Keep your Floor Looking SharpWith today's advances in wood flooring stains and finishes, engineered wood floor maintenance has never been easier. Caring for hardwood floors requires little more than sweeping with a soft bristle broom and vacuuming with a soft floor attachment if your wood floor includes a beveled edge that could collect debris. You also should clean your floors periodically with a professional wood floor cleaning product recommended by a wood flooring professional.
Extending the life of your hardwood floor
To extend the life of your floor use a minimum amount of moisture and cleaner.
Minimize engineered wood floor maintenance and maintain the beauty of your wood floors for years to come
- Do not use sheet vinyl or tile floor care products on wood floors. Self-polishing acrylic waxes cause wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly.
- Use throw rugs both inside and outside doorways to help prevent grit, dirt and other debris from being tracked onto your wood floors. This will prevent scratching.
- Do not wet-mop a wood floor. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discoloring residue.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a slightly dampened towel.
- Put felt or fabric-faced glides under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
- Avoid walking on your wood floors with cleats, sports shoes and high heels. A 125-pound woman walking in high heels has an impact of 2,000 pounds per square inch. An exposed heel nail can exert up to 8,000 pounds per square inch. This kind of impact can dent any floor surface.
- When moving heavy furniture, do not slide it on wood flooring. It is best to pick up the furniture completely to protect the wood flooring.
- For wood flooring in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink.
Many manufacturers have their own recommendations for caring for their flooring. Here are links to a few of those manufacturers (links will open in a new tab)...
Put our knowledge to work for you. Click here to contact us or call (623) 742-9663 (WOOD) today. If you would like to talk to us in person stop by one of our convenient Valley locations to discuss your project.